This spicy rattlesnake sausage chowder recipe has a bite, but at least it won’t take a bite out of you. The recipe was inspired by Tate Dutton’s brave action in a key episode of Yellowstone.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 rattlesnake sausage links cut into ½-inch coins, about 1 cup
- 2 cups halved fingerling potatoes
- 1 large jalapeño or two medium serrano chiles thinly sliced, about ¼ cup
- ½ cup bourbon whisky
- 1 box vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy bottomed soup pot over medium heat. Fry the potatoes cut side down with sausage coins until browned, about 3-5 minutes, flipping the sausages halfway through. Remove potatoes and sausages from the pan and set aside.
- Pour the whisky and stock into the pot and bring to a boil. Then, using a wooden spatula, scrape up any brown bits stuck to the bottom of a pan. Reduce the heat to medium low, stir in the evaporated milk and cheddar cheese until the cheese is completely incorporated into the liquid, about 3 minutes. Add the green chile slices, sausages and potatoes to the pot and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender. Taste and add salt if needed. Serve immediately.