Get the secret to perfectly melty grilled cheese sandwiches.
Some people believe that grilled cheese must be made on the stovetop or over an open flame, but my secret to a perfectly melty grilled cheese sandwich is toasting it in the oven instead of over a burner.
- 2 large slices Italian bread
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup crumbled Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 ounces sliced fresh mozzarella
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- Makes 1 giant sandwich, big enough to share.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown the sausage in olive oil over medium heat. Set aside.
- Mix together the ricotta, marinara sauce and nutmeg.
- Brush both sides of the bread with melted butter, using a pastry brush, then sprinkle with the garlic powder and Italian seasoning.
- Spread the inside of the bread with thick later of the ricotta and marinara mixture. Top one slice of bread with slices of mozzarella cheese then top with the other slice of bread, ricotta side down.
- Grease an oven safe skillet (cast-iron is perfect if you have it), with the remaining melted butter, then toss a tablespoon or two of parmesan cheese in the bottom of the pan.
- Set the sandwich on top of the Parmesan cheese in the pan, then pile the rest of the Parmesan on top. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until all of the cheese is melted and the top of the sandwich is nicely browned.
Hungry for More?Buy the Unofficial Yellowstone Cookbook and the Taste of Tucson Cookbook!
Looking to make more food that tastes like lasagna? Try my warm layered lasagna dip recipe.