How to dehydrate chile peppers and and grind them into chili powder and custom spice blends.
- Fresh chiles of your choice
- Wash chiles and cut into ¼-inch slices. (Small chiles like chiltepin can be left whole.)
- Layer them in the dehydrator. Set it to low. It will take about 12 hours for the chiles to dry thoroughly.
- Put the dried chiles in the coffee grinder and blend to a fine powder.
- Save in an airtight container for up to six months.
Get more recipes for custom spice blends including chile salt and homemade chili powder in my Taste of Tucson cookbook.