Traditionally made with leftover Sunday pot roast, Butte pasties are a beloved Montana via Ireland tradition to this day.
Traditionally made with leftover Sunday pot roast, Butte pasties are a beloved Montana via Ireland tradition to this day. Helen Mirin who stars as Cara in the Yellowstone prequel 1923 created a backstory for her character, “The big Irish immigration to America, because of the potato famine, was in the late 19th century.”“She’s now in her late 60s, we imagine. So she would’ve come, I think, as a young woman from Ireland.” ~ via CheatsheetGet the recipes for Cara Dutton's Irish Stout Pot Roast and Brown Gravy in The Unofficial Yellowstone Cookbook.
- 1 cup chopped leftover prepared potatoes from Cara Dutton's Irish Stout Pot Roast
- 1 cup chopped leftover prepared carrots from Cara Dutton's Irish Stout Pot Roast
- 1 cup shredded leftover prepared beef from Cara Dutton's Irish Stout Pot Roast
- 2 9-inch pie crust dough rounds, at room temperature
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- Brown Gravy for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 18-by-13-inch rimmed half-sheet baking pan with parchment or a silicone baking mat.
- Pile half the potatoes into the middle of each pie crust, followed by the carrots, and then the shredded beef, leaving about a half-inch border of clean dough around the edge. Brush the beaten egg onto the border with a pastry brush.
- Fold two opposite sides of the dough over the top of one of the pot roast piles to form a semicircle, then fold and crimp the edges as shown to make a seal. Cut three small slits on either side of the seal to let steam escape. Repeat with the remaining pie crust and pot roast.
- Brush the pasties with the remaining egg wash and bake for 50 minutes or until golden brown.
- Transfer to a wire cooling rack and let cool for 10 minutes before serving with brown gravy.
Learn more about the tradition of Irish Pasties in Montana. ~ via Only in Your State
Hungry for More?Buy the Unofficial Yellowstone Cookbook and the Taste of Tucson Cookbook!