These Sonoran style sweet and spicy chicken wings are hot!
These Sonoran style sweet and spicy chicken wings are hot! But, the spiciness of these grilled chicken wings will vary greatly, depending on the heat of the chile flakes you are using, and the barbecue sauce you select. This recipe also works well for chicken breasts or thighs. Choose a barbecue sauce that doesn't list high fructose corn syrup as the first ingredient (or preferably at all). I use Sweet Baby Ray's. I use smoked sea salt in a grinder for my everyday salt. A two pound bag costs about $17.00 and lasts for about a year. I think it makes everything taste better.
- 6 chicken wings, disjointed (12 pieces)
- 1/2 cup spicy barbecue sauce
For Spice Rub
- 1-2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon course ground salt, smoked if possible
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Secure the chicken and the spice rub ingredients in a resealable bag. Massage the spices into the chicken. Refrigerate for 2-4 hours.
- Grill on medium, covered until cooked throughout.
- Brush with barbecue sauce and let brown, about 2-5 minutes more.
Hungry for More?Buy the Unofficial Yellowstone Cookbook and the Taste of Tucson Cookbook!