Everyone needs a good buttercream frosting recipe. Here's yours! This recipe is from my cookbook, Sprinkles!: Recipes and Ideas for Rainbowlicious Desserts.
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar sifted
- 1 to 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sprinkles optional
- With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter for 1 minute, or until creamy and soft. Add confectioners’ sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, beating to incorporate after each addition.
- Gradually beat in heavy cream until smooth.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add vanilla — and sprinkles, if using — and beat for 1 minute more, or until soft and fluffy. Use immediately or refrigerate, covered, for up to 5 days.
- You can swirl sprinkles into buttercream before frosting your treats, or frost first and then arrange the sprinkles on top.
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- After incorporating the confectioners’ sugar, add 8 ounces melted and cooled semisweet chocolate (or bittersweet or dark chocolate, if you prefer) to the mixture and beat until soft and fluffy. Then add cream.
Hungry for More?Buy the Unofficial Yellowstone Cookbook and the Taste of Tucson Cookbook!